I bought this SCSI controller back in 2000-2001 for about $ 1 at the time. Virtually for nothing. I used it a lot on many different computers with different peripherals connected. Probably the strangest SCSI device that I used was an old Tandberg tape drive. I retired it in 2006 or so after years of heavy usage. Since then it stayed in the drawer. Well, actually, in many drawers. These days I'm planning to use it again in one of my vintage retrocomputing projects.
But I have noticed that it has a couple of electrolytic capacitors that I'd better replace as precaution. I wouldn't risk destroying any of my DIY ISA cards due to a cheap failing part. Most electrolytic capacitors will go open when their lifetime ends. But some decide to go short. That would spell disaster. So I replaced the 10 uF / 25 V parts with tantalum capacitors. As for the the 22 uF / 25 V ones, I went with single-ended conductive polymer aluminum solid capacitors. Everything went straightforward.
Here are some pictures that I took during this operation.
Copyright © 2004- Alexandru Groza
All rights reserved.
VER. 1.0 | REV. A